Family World Travel, Because Life is an Adventure
Travel is our passion and we made travel with kids our lifestyle. We can show you how. In 2012 we decided to show our kids the world. 6 + years of non-stop around the world family travel later, in 2019 we run this huge world travel blog and resource.
World Travel Family is a travel blog that will help you plan holidays and vacations with your kids, ( just search by location or use our places and destinations page ) but it’s more than that.
We travel the world with kids and you can too, we’ll show you how. We travel long term but many of our trips are short and vacation style, so if that’s what you’re looking for you found the right people.
Hi, my name is Alyson, I’m the creator of our family travel blog or website, my husband is Chef and the Kids are D and Boo. This site belongs to us, our family, we made it ourselves.
We want to inspire you or help you to travel more, further and better with your kids or without. We want everyone to know that travel with kids is good for them, good for your family and not hard at all.
I want to show people that the world can be safe, kind and fascinating. There is too much fear, prejudice and mis-understanding these days.
We have a video explaining why travel with kids. We did it for the education. Maybe you just want a holiday, that’s cool too!
My husband and I had the idea so we sold the “stuff”, I created a website and we set off with our backpacks. This is a tale of travel and freedom, of education and adventure, of ultra budget to luxury, leading to expertise, a new profession and a location independent lifestyle.
What we can share with you:
- travel or family travel
- world travel with kids, the how and the difficulties
- how to travel more as a family
- where to travel, how to travel – see the destinations we cover here.
- the best, most unusual, most educational and most exciting destinations for 2019
- tips on how to make family travel cheaper
- accommodation choices and options, at every price point
- planning, itineraries, packing, luggage, travel gear and travel insurance
- what is worldschooling and what are the best educational travel destinations
- Do you want to know more about homeschooling while travelling?
- blogging and making money online, if you are interested
- saving and minimalist lifestyles
- changing your life, finding financial and locational freedom
- we went on to become a nomadic family, you can find out what a digital nomad family is, and how that’s done too.
Sign up to follow below, that way you’ll know when we get the content you want published. You can always e-mail us to let us know what content you need.
Full Time Travel With Kids: Our Story So Far, Briefly.
If you don’t want to read our story that’s cool, just hit one of the links above, but here it is.
We travelled from the UK to Australia in 2007 with a toddler and a baby. 2012 saw us getting inspired to change our lives, we learned that travel is cheaper than staying home and would give our family greater freedom.
In mid 2013 we left to travel full-time. In our first year we lived our lives in Malaysia, Thailand, Laos, Sri Lanka, England and Wales before taking an Atlantic cruise to New York. We road-tripped our way around the USA and visited Canada. El Salvador followed from Florida and we travelled overland to Guatemala before returning to Florida for our 2nd Atlantic cruise back to Spain. From there we returned to London for a change of pace and family re-unions. All of our first year of travel was paid for with savings.
This could have just been a family gap year, but we didn’t want to stop.
- Read about saving for that first year here
- Read how much that first year of travel cost here
We worked and regrouped in London, determined that our new travel lifestyle must continue.
At the start of 2015 we set out for Turkey and Dubai, before boarding a cruise ship to Singapore.
From there we headed to Bangkok before spending a month travelling around Cambodia and then a month in southern India and creating our India Travel Blog section. We were desperate to return to Nepal after completing the Annapurna circuit trek years ago, unfortunately the tragic Nepal earthquake saw us change our plans, instead we headed to Romania and fell in love with this country.
February saw me fulfilling a life-long ambition, to get close to Mount Everest. Trekking the Everest Region of Nepal with kids was spectacular, but in 2019 we went all the way to Everest Base Camp. We hung out in Pokhara and Kathmandu, where we met Prince Harry. A short stay in Dubai and we were back in Romania for spring.
One of the joys of being based in Europe was the freedom to drive around freely, driving from London to Romania is something we did often in our much loved TARDIS blue truck, she was called Sexy, stopping wherever we pleased ( or where she broke down!) along the way.
In 2017 we visitedEgypt because the kids just love Egyptology.
In 2018 we headed back to Nepal and Tibet after leaving Romania for good. By Christmas 2018 we will be back in Australia, but not for long!
Bookmark to Pinterest, spread the word!
About This Travel Blog
On this blog you will find stories from life on the road as well as in depth factual destination guides, tips and personal experiences. We can tell you about snorkelling on the great Barrier Reef or about trekking in the Himalayas.
I talk about money, blogging, health, family life and, of course, travel and education. The blog started as my hobby.
Blogging has opened doors for us and we are now offered amazing opportunities within the travel world. This blog isn’t just a family travel diary, it’s one of the biggest in the world and the exposure we can offer to big companies is valuable to them.
If you’re interested we have a blogging section .
We get to share the world with you and with our kids, we promote, plan, educate and publicise.
It’s the best job in the world.
Travel With Children is Brilliant!
Travel with children adds a whole new dimension to any trip.
Seeing things through children’s eyes is magical and it is so, so good for them. Our boys are teens and tweens now, but we’ve been through all of the stages of family travel, babies, toddlers, preschoolers to now.
Kids of any age can be a joy to travel with.
People can find the idea of setting out into the world with just a backpack or suitcase a little scary. Add children to the picture and it can look impossible, but it’s not.
We can give you some ideas and tips on the practicalities of travel with children. It’s not a picnic, you have to adapt and change your travel style to accommodate them, but it is possible with maybe a little more slow travel and a little less rush.
All of the information you need to travel is available here on our blog, for free, I will never sell a course.
What Do Travelling Children Do For School?
The children don’t go to school, We were registered as homeschoolers 2 years before we even left Australia and it was working brilliantly despite the paperwork. We hold the Google #1 spot for all things homeschooling and travelling and we’re prominent in world schooling too.
- What is Worldschooling?
- Homeschooling and Travelling
- Ultimate Worldschooling Tips, Guides and Resources
- Do the Kids Have Friends : Socialisation
We now homeschool under the British system, which is far less troublesome, no registration or forced curriculum required.
Sign up for help and tips on the most educational destinations, the places that will open your children’s eyes and brains and support on your own alternative education journey.
There is education everywhere, you just need to see it.
Think about this, computers weren’t around when I was in school. In the last few years I’ve taught myself to create websites and manage them and how to be an online marketer as well as a writer.
I get paid to travel and to write about it. Were there any teachers or classrooms involved? No.
So tell me why kids should need them?
How Do We Afford Long Term Family Travel?
Extreme budget travel was how we started, but those days are largely gone.
Minimalism, savings, working hard, finding the best bargains and making money online are part of the story. The big secret is to make travel your priority.
This journey isn’t just about travel, it’s about finding full financial and location independence. We are digital nomads, a digital nomad family. I had no skills in working online 6 years ago, but we figured out how.
- Budget Travel Tips to Cut Travel Costs
- Finding The Money to Travel
- How To Start a Blog to Make Money
- How Much Our First Year of Travel Cost
- Does Travel Blogging Fund Long Term Travel?
- Make Your First $1000 Through Amazon Affiliates
Will We Stop Travelling?
Now, in our 6th year, I don’t think we ever will.
We will keep travelling for as long as we’re enjoying it and as long as we can fund it. We started with a one way ticket to Malaysia and that is how we continue, we’re fairly unplanned travellers.
We have created a lifestyle that works perfectly for us, one of travel at all budget levels, and of physical rest and intensive work ( that means studies for the kids) in home bases we love.
I adore my new job, the kids are happy, Chef loves his travel and Ironman events. This life is too good to stop.
So what about you? Is this the lifestyle you’re looking for?
Our Boys Are Older Now, Tweens and Teens not Toddlers and Babies
We’ve done this family travel thing for years and methods constantly change. We can help you travel with kids of any age because we’ve done it.
With older kids you can take on more adventurous destinations. Our kids being older means we travel for work more and let the boys guide our path more often. It’s good to let the kids be involved.
The kids are a part of the World Travel Family team. They help with all aspects of our business and because they are more independent I have more time to work. We focus on a few favourite countries, so sometimes our travel is to get to know every aspect of a country, for the website and to help you.
We’re out in the world researching, as well as enjoying and learning.
Travel Resources We Use To Make Travel With Kids Affordable.
- We usually browse online accommodation booking sites to find the best deal. However, sometimes we don’t book in advance, we wing it, this is much cheaper in Asia if you are comfortable with this style. Our preferred online booking site for Asia is Agoda.
- This is the only travel insurance we can use, and it’s great.
- We book tours, tickets, transfers and attractions through Get Your Guide
- For car hire we use Holiday Autos to compare prices and find the best deal.
- In the USA we swear by Wyndham Rewards and Priceline.
- Sky Scanner is our number 1, every time, first stop for finding flights. Compare all cheap flights with Skyscanner and find your best day, best destination and best airline at a glance. I’ve written a post about our tips and tricks for using this flight engine like a ninja.
- Very occasionally, for longer term apartment rentals, AirBnB works out cheaper, mostly we find cheaper hotels give us better value. AirBnb works best for long-term (1 month+) stays. We’ve recently found good deals on there outside Asia, particularly London apartments and also in Egypt. We rented one of our rooms at home through AirBnb to help us save to leave. AirBnb is something you have to sign up for, use our link to receive a discount on future stays.
- We’ve tried Housesitting but rarely do it. We don’t couch-surf but we do host couch-surfers at home. We like to pay our way.
- When we’re looking for cruise ship bargains we often check Cruise Direct and the Cruise lines’ own websites, and keep checking, prices fluctuate hugely with demand. We have a post on finding great cruise deals. Our cruises worked out cheaper than flying.
We are, Alyson, James, D and Boo, the Family Behind World Travel Family.
I was born with wanderlust and I met my husband through travel . Having children slowed us down for a while, but once the boys were 6 and 8, they were ready to get a lot out of this adventure.
If you’d like to read more about us, Meet the Family by clicking here.
Our travel style has included backpacking (tips on backpacking with kids here), luxury resorts, camping, glamping, cruise ships, package holidays, hotels, villas, trekking, tours and small group adventure holidays . We do it all!
Thanks for visiting, I hope I can inspire or encourage you to try long term travel, or any travel, with children, or without, maybe to more challenging destinations. I’m just a Mum with a passion for my family, travel and education . It’s not such a big scary world out there and anybody can travel with children if they want it badly enough. You can follow our family adventure and plan your own through news letters ( please sign up using the form above), alternatively there is Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, or Pinterest. ( we’re huge on Pinterest!) Having followers, particularly if they share and like, helps us directly. Thanks for reading, hope you come back soon.