Family World Travel, Because Life is an Adventure
Travel is our passion and travel with children has become our lifestyle. In 2012 we decided to show our kids the world, 4 years of non-stop around the world family travel later, we’re still exploring. Before that there was a whole lifetime of single and couple travel to every corner of the globe. World Travel Family is a travel blog but it’s more than that too. Let us inspire you or help you to travel more, further and better. My name is Alyson, I’m proud mum to our travelling family and the creator of our family travel blog. Back then my husband and I had the idea, we sold the “stuff”, I created a website and changed my profession. This is a tale of travel and freedom, of education and adventure, of ultra budget to luxury, leading to expertise, a new profession and a location independent lifestyle. Sign up to follow our story, get inspired to travel more, learn how to travel better and get the know-how to travel further. Enjoy freedom, have more adventures, maybe even change your lifestyle and ways of learning or earning. Welcome to our site and the realities of being a digital nomad family.
We made this video to briefly explain. Please share and subscribe.
What we can share with you:
- travel or family travel
- where to travel, how to travel
- the best, most unusual, most educational and most exciting destinations for 2018
- accommodation choices and options, at every price point
- planning, itineraries, packing, luggage, gear and insurance
- homeschooling or world schooling
- blogging and making money online
- saving and minimalist lifestyles
- changing your life, finding financial and locational freedom
Most of the above is already on our website but you can also sign up to receive new updates. It is free and you can unsubscribe any time you like. You will be invited to our free support and know-how group when you subscribe. A popup with a subscibe box will appear for you soon.
The Full Time Travel With Kids Story So Far, Briefly.
We moved from the UK to Australia in 2007 with a toddler and a baby. 2012 saw us getting inspired to change our lives, we figured that travel is cheaper than staying home and would give our family freedom. In mid 2013 we left to travel full-time. In our first year we lived our lives in Malaysia, Thailand, Laos, Sri Lanka, England and Wales before taking an Atlantic cruise to New York. We road-tripped our way around the USA and visited Canada. We flew to El Salvador from Florida and travelled overland to Guatemala before returning to Florida for our 2nd Atlantic cruise back to Spain. From there we returned to London for a change of pace. All of our first year of travel was paid for with savings.
- Read about saving for that first year here
- Read how much that first year of travel cost here
Then we worked and regrouped in London, we were determined that our new travel lifestyle must continue. At the start of 2015 we set out for Turkey and Dubai, before boarding a cruise ship to Singapore. From there we headed to Bangkok before spending a month travelling around Cambodia and then a month in southern India. We were desperate to return to Nepal after completing the Annapurna circuit trek years ago, unfortunately the tragic Nepal earthquake saw us change our plans, instead we headed to Romania and fell in love.
After enjoying a Romanian winter and ski season we headed to one of our favourites, Sri Lanka, via Dubai, in January 2016. February saw me fulfilling a life-long ambition, to get close to Mount Everest. Trekking the Everest Region of Nepal was spectacular. We hung out in Pokhara and Kathmandu, where we met Prince Harry. A short stay in Dubai and we were back in Romania for spring.
One of the joys of being based in Europe these days is the freedom to drive around freely, driving from London to Romania is something we do often in our much loved TARDIS blue truck, Sexy, stopping wherever we please ( or where she breaks down!) along the way. May took us to Greece, summer to London, autumn to several European countries and November to Thailand. Christmas, means Romania to us. In 2017 we will be visiting Egypt, London, Wales, Australia and Nepal, plus lots more.
You’ve found the biggest of our websites. Are you getting a clue as to how we afford full-time travel? We are now professional travellers and our travel blogs provide our income. We get to share the world with you and with our kids, we get paid to promote, to plan and to publicise. It’s the best job in the world.
Travel With Children is Brilliant!
Travel with children adds a whole new dimension to any trip. Seeing things through children’s eyes is magical and it is so, so good for them. Our boys are getting big now, they are teens and tweens, but we’ve been through all of the stages of family travel, babies, toddlers, preschoolers to now. They’re a joy to travel with.
People can find the idea of setting out into the world with just a backpack or suitcase a little scary. Add children to the picture and it can look impossible, but it’s not. We can give you some ideas and tips on the practicalities of travel with children. It’s not a picnic, you have to adapt and change your travel style to accommodate them, but it is possible with maybe a little more slow travel and a little less rush. All of the information you need to travel is available on our blog, for free, but some readers need more help, support, information, planning and coaching. We used to help people by Skype but these days we’re too busy, comments on the website usually get answers though.
What Do Travelling Children Do For School?
The children don’t go to school, We were registered as homeschoolers 2 years before we even left Australia and it was working brilliantly despite the paperwork. We hold the Google #1 spot for all things homeschooling and travelling and we’re prominent in world schooling too. We know our stuff.
- What is Worldschooling?
- Homeschooling and Travelling
- Ultimate Worldschooling Tips, Guides and Resources
- Do the Kids Have Friends : Socialisation
We now homeschool under the British system, which is far less troublesome. Sign up for help and tips on the most educational destinations, the places that will open your children’s eyes and brains and support on your own alternative education journey. There is education everywhere, you just need to see it.
Think about this, computers weren’t around when I was in school, in the last few years I’ve taught myself to create websites and manage them and how to be an online marketer as well as a writer. I get paid to travel and to write about it. Were there any teachers or classrooms involved? No. So tell me why kids should need them?
How Do We Afford Long Term Family Travel?
Extreme budget travel was how we started, but those days are largely gone. Minimalism, savings, working hard, finding the best bargains and making money online are part of the story. The big secret is to make travel your priority.
This journey isn’t just about travel, it’s about finding full financial and location independence. We are digital nomads, a digital nomad family. I had no skills in working online 4 years ago but today my efforts almost fully fund us. You’ll want to read these posts:
- Budget Travel Tips to Cut Travel Costs
- Finding The Money to Travel
- How To Start a Blog to Make Money
- How Much Our First Year of Travel Cost
- Does Travel Blogging Fund Long Term Travel?
- Make Your First $1000 Through Amazon Affiliates
Will We Stop Travelling?
Now, entering our 5th year, I don’t think we ever will. In our first year we bought a 1 way ticket to Malaysia and took it from there, we’re still very random and unplanned because that’s the way we like it. We will keep travelling for as long as we’re enjoying it and as long as we can fund it. We have created a lifestyle that works perfectly for us, one of travel at all budget levels, and of physical rest and intensive work in home bases we love. I adore my new job, the kids are happy, Chef loves his travel and Ironman events. This life is too good to stop.
Our Boys Are Older Now, Tweens and Teens, not Toddlers and Babies
We’ve done this family travel thing for years and methods constantly change. These days we take on more adventurous destinations, travel for work more and let the boys guide our path often. The kids are very much part of the World Travel Family team. They help with all aspects of our work and because they are more independent now, I have more time to work. We focus on a few favourite countries, so sometimes our travel is to get to know every aspect of a country, for the website and to help you. We’re out in the world researching, as well as enjoying and learning.
Travel Resources We Use To Make Travel With Kids Affordable.
- We usually browse online accommodation booking sites to find the best deal. However, sometimes we don’t book in advance, we wing it, this is much cheaper in Asia if you are comfortable with this style. Our preferred online booking site for Asia is Agoda.
- This is the only travel insurance we can use, and it’s great.
- We book tours, tickets, transfers and attractions through Get Your Guide
- For car hire we use Holiday Autos to compare prices and find the best deal.
- In the USA we swear by Wyndham Rewards and Priceline.
- Sky Scanner is our number 1, every time, first stop for finding flights. Compare all cheap flights with Skyscanner and find your best day, best destination and best airline at a glance. I’ve written a post about our tips and tricks for using this flight engine like a ninja.
- Very occasionally, for longer term apartment rentals, AirBnB works out cheaper, mostly we find cheaper hotels give us better value. AirBnb works best for long-term (1 month+) stays. We’ve recently found good deals on there outside Asia, particularly London apartments and also in Egypt. We rented one of our rooms at home through AirBnb to help us save to leave. AirBnb is something you have to sign up for, use our link to receive a discount on future stays.
- We’ve tried Housesitting but rarely do it. We don’t couch-surf but we do host couch-surfers at home. We like to pay our way.
- When we’re looking for cruise ship bargains we often check Cruise Direct and the Cruise lines’ own websites, and keep checking, prices fluctuate hugely with demand. We have a post on finding great cruise deals. Our cruises worked out cheaper than flying.
About This Travel Blog
On this blog you will find stories from life on the road as well as in depth factual destination guides, tips and personal experiences. I talk about money, blogging, health, family life and, of course, travel and education. The blog started as my hobby and is now my profession. Blogging has opened many doors for us, as travel professionals we are now offered amazing opportunities within the travel world because of the power of this blog and the exposure we can offer to big companies in the industry. If you’re interested we have a blogging section .
We are, Alyson, James, D and Boo, We are World Travel Family.
I was born with wanderlust and I met my husband through travel . Having children slowed us down for a while, but once the boys were 6 and 8, they were ready to start this adventure and get a lot out of it. It’s a great way for us all to get an education. If you’d like to read more about us, Meet the Family by clicking here. We’re looking forward to getting to know you.
“The boys will only be boys once, this is it. So we’re just going to do it.”
Our travel style has included backpacking (tips on backpacking with kids here), luxury resorts, camping, glamping, cruise ships, package holidays, hotels, villas, trekking, tours and small group adventure holidays . We do it all!
Thanks for visiting, I hope I can inspire or encourage you to try long term travel, or any travel, with children, or without, maybe to more challenging destinations. I’m just a Mum with a passion for my family, travel and education . It’s not such a big scary world out there and anybody can travel with children if they want it badly enough. You can follow our family adventure and plan your own through news letters ( please sign up above), alternatively there is Google+, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube or Pinterest. Having followers, particularly if they share and like, helps us directly. Thanks for reading, hope you come back soon.
Where to go now?