FAQ s for World Travel Family, Gear We Use, Companies We Recommend
- What backpack do I ( Alyson) use for main luggage and for trekking? This one, an Osprey Aura, women’s 65L and I’m IN LOVE with it. It’s been to Everest Base Camp with me and is my main daily luggage.
- Is there a men’s version of this backpack? Yes, it’s here.
- What sunglasses are best for travel? We use these for travel, skiing, running, cycling, hiking, trekking and triathlon.
- What do we recommend to make packing simpler and more organised? We use a variety of packing cubes and pouches, I also carry a travel organiser in my day pack and have an extremely good, highly recommended, wash bag. Packing cubes and pouches are a game changer, particularly with backpacks. These packing cubes are good, this is the wash bag, this is the organiser.
- Do we use travel towels? Yes, absolutely, we tested a few, this is our favourite.this is our favourite.
- Do we recommend power banks and chargers for travel? These are absolutely essential. We just bought this one, but we’ve had lots of different models and often carried multiple units, solar, slimline and regular. ( because kids!) Full post here.
- What is our favourite booking engine for hotels, resorts, hostels, villas, guest houses and more? We generally prefer Agoda. They are huge for bookings in Asia. Love them and their customer service, search here. Booking dot com are also a solid company, we’ve never had an issue with them and the hotel comparison site, Hotels Combined, can be very useful for finding bargains. Which you should use depends on country and situation, but certainly for Asia we like Agoda.
- What do we use for booking apartments and houses? Try Airbnb ( you’ll get a discount by using this link to join) but also try Agoda and other booking engines. We find Airbnb a bit hit and miss and works better in some countries than others. But DO sign up here. If you’re already a member no worries, log out, click our link above and create a new account, you’ll still get that credit, it’s in the region of $40 and you’ll also get around $15 to spend on the new AirBnB experiences. Just click the link above.
- What’s our favourite tool for finding cheap flights? Always Skyscanner. for researching best prices and best days. They will still help you find the best price. HOWEVER, after a bad experience, we now suggest you think about booking direct with the airline.
- Car Rental, budget or security? We’ve done OK finding cheap deals through a car rental comparison site but again, after a couple of bad experiences with cowboy companies, we try to use a big solid company and always reduce our excess to zero. We like Sixt a lot and our link gives up to 10% discount. We also like EuropCar and Avis/Budget.
- What travel insurance do we use? This one is simple, we only use World Nomads.
- The little microphone below costs little, weighs nothing and takes any video you shoot, even just Instagram stories, to the next level. It’s a must-have.
- We swear by our gimbal below to stabilise all video footage plus give us access to some great effects.
- Extra chargers and adaptors are of course essential
- These days – who doesn’t want a drone? The Mavic Air is a step up from both the Pro and Sprite, giving performance along with compact size.
Editing Photos and Videos
- We love, love , love Animoto. It’s super easy to edit stills together with short video clips to make something that looks spectacular. You’ll see an Animoto video on our Destinations page.
- We use PicMonkey Pro – a simple entry level photo editing tool and graphics creator.
- We also use Adobe Spark Post
- We own Cyberlink Power Director
- What hosting do we recommend? Site Ground is the best beginner-high intermediate hosting company we’ve used. Their customer support and service are superb. Buy hosting here.
- For themes we highly recommend Studiopress themes built on the Genesis framework. A big solid company, good security, good speed, fantastic support and I’ve never had a problem with them.
Just a few we recommend below.
- The 4 hour work week will give you unparalleled insight into how to work faster and smarter in creating your online income stream
- The Explore! and Lonely Planet Kids books are our absolute favourites for the boys. Educational, travel inspired, fun as read alouds or for the kids to read.
- The last book is the latest huge best seller in home education. Take a look.
As you can probably tell, we are still building our travel, worldschooling and blogging resources collection here. This is purely down to lack of time, we’re currently in the Himalayas. You will find far more information on the best tools, products and resources elsewhere on our site but this page, in time, will be your complete go-to list of all things excellent, tried and tested, by us.