FAQ s for World Travel Family, Gear We Use, Companies We Recommend
- What backpack do I ( Alyson) use for main luggage and for trekking? This one and I’m IN LOVE with it.
- Is there a men’s version of this backpack? Yes, it’s here.
- What sunglasses are best for travel? We use these for travel, skiing, running, cycling, hiking, trekking and triathlon.
- What do we recommend to make packing simpler and more organised? We use a variety of packing cubes and pouches, I also carry a travel organiser in my day pack and have an extremely good, highly trecommended, wash bag. Packing cubes and pouches are a game changer, particularly with backpacks. These packing cubesThese packing cubes are good, this is the wash bag, this is the organiser.
- Do we use travel towels? Yes, absolutely, we tested a few, this is our favourite.this is our favourite.
- Do we recommend power banks and chargers for travel? These are absolutely essential. We just bought this one, but we’ve had lots of different models and often carried multiple units, solar, slimline and regular. ( because kids!) Full post here.
- What is our favourite booking engine for hotels, resorts, hostels, villas, guest houses and more? We generally prefer Agoda. They are huge for bookings in Asia. Love them and their customer service, search here.
- What do we use for booking apartments and houses? Try Airbnb ( you’ll get a discount by using this link to join) but also try Agoda and other booking engines. We find Airbnb a bit hit and miss and works better in some countries than others. But DO sign up here.
- What’s our favourite tool for finding cheap flights? Always Skyscanner. Skyscanner.net or Skyscanner UK ( .net is global, .co.uk is uk specific ) will still help you find the best price. HOWEVER, after a bad experience, we now suggest you think about booking direct with the airline.
- Car Rental, budget or security? We’ve done OK finding cheap deals through a car rental comparison site ( Holiday Autos) but again, after a couple of bad experiences with cowboy companies, we try to use a big solid company and always reduce our excess to zero. We like Sixt a lot and our link gives up to 10% discount.
- What travel insurance do we use? This one is simple, we only use World Nomads.
- What hosting do we recommend? Site Ground is the best beginner-high intermediate hosting company we’ve used. Their customer support and service are superb. Buy hosting here.
As you can probably tell, we are still building our travel, worldschooling and blogging resources collection here. This is purely down to lack of time, we’re currently in the Himalayas. You will find far more information on the best tools, products and resources elsewhere on our site but this page, in time, will be your complete go-to list of all things excellent, tried and tested, by us.