With more and more travel essential gadgets requiring charging, it’s little wonder that people are turning to portable battery packs to help fill the power gap when travelling. Be aware that not all battery packs are created equal in build, quality or price. Below I’ve listed 5 of the most common and widely regarded best chargers on the market at multiple price points. We carry several portable battery packs when we travel, including traditional and solar powered types. We use them for charging phones, Kindles, Nintendo DS, even laptops on the road. If your travel plans involve long journeys or locations and countries where power availability will be an issue, you should most certainly be investing in portable battery packs.
We would suggest carrying these portable charging devices at all time in countries liable to regular power outages ( India, Nepal), for all Africa overlanding and for any travel where you will spend days on buses and trains. You’ll even find them useful on some airlines still, by no means all planes have charging facilities.
This post uses affiliate links, they cost you nothing extra and keep our site free for you.
5 of the Best Rechargeable, Portable Battery Packs for Travel
Anker PowerCore 10000
This little power pack is great for day trips where you just need a top up. Small enough to fit in your pocket but powerful enough to charge a couple of phones or the same a few times if you’re really power hungry.
- Remarkably Compact: One of the smallest and lightest 10000mAh portable charger (2.36 x 3.62 x 0.87 in, 6.4oz). Provides almost three-and-a-half iPhone 6s charges or three Galaxy S6 charges.
- High-speed-Charging Technology: Anker’s exclusive PowerIQ and VoltageBoost combine to deliver the fastest possible charge for any device. Qualcomm Quick Charge not supported.
- Certified Safe: Anker’s MultiProtect safety system ensures complete protection for you and your devices.
- What You Get: Anker PowerCore 10000 portable charger, Micro USB cable, travel pouch, welcome guide and 18-month warranty. Lightning cable for iPhone / iPad sold separately
Anker Power Core 5000, Ultra-Compact 5000mAh
The smallest and cheapest charger. Really only suitable for a day trip out to the museum or park. This charger will get you out of that dreaded low battery warning but isn’t going to get you much further.
- High Capacity: Contains 5000 mAh of power. Enough to provide two charges to an iPhone 6s or at least one to a Galaxy S7.
- Ultra-Compact: Remarkably small, tubular design slides easily next to your phone in any pocket or bag. Just 10cm tall and 3cm wide.
- Fast Charging: Equipped with exclusive PowerIQ technology, it provides the fastest charge to any phone or tablet (up to 2A).
- What You Get: PowerCore 5000, travel pouch, Micro-USB cable, welcome guide and an 18-month warranty.
For the serious power user. With a massive 26800mAh capacity this will last for those weekends away. If you’re traveling off the grid for a short time this is the one to have. Big enough to do tablets as well as phones this will cover all bases. It can even charge more than one device at a time. It also recharges itself twice as quick as other devices meaning you should never be stuck without power. More expensive as far as battery packs go but this ticks all the boxes if you really need a large amount of portable power.
- Colossal Capacity: 26800mAh of power charges most phones over 7 times, tablets at least 2 times and any other USB device multiple times.
- High-Speed Charging: 3 USB output ports equipped with Anker’s PowerIQ and VoltageBoost technology ensure high-speed charging for three devices—simultaneously (max output 6A, single-port max output 3A).
- Recharge 2X Faster: Dual Micro USB (20W) input offers recharge speeds up to twice as fast as standard portable chargers—a full recharge takes just over 6 hours.
- What You Get: PowerCore 26800, 2X Micro USB Cable, Travel Pouch, Welcome Guide and an 18-month warranty.
Anker Power Core+ 26800, Premium Portable Charger
This is the deluxe of power chargers. Can charge 3 devices simultaneously up to 6A and will recharge twice as quick as other chargers to recharge themselves. Comes with a handy wall socket to ensure quick charging. When fully charged you could get a weeks worth of charges out of it. Perfect for that off the grid holiday where power points aren’t around every wall. Think Himalayas here people. The price matches the performance. Not the cheapest but by far the best in terms of what it can achieve. Suit families with more than one device to charge.
- Qualcomm Quick Charge 3.0: Using Qualcomm’s advanced Quick Charge 3.0 technology, PowerCore+ allows compatible devices to charge 85% faster. Recharges itself 2X as fast with the included wall charger.
- Fast-Charging Technology: Exclusive to Anker, PowerIQ and VoltageBoost technologies combine to provide universal full speed charging for non-Quick Charge devices, up to 3 amps per port.
- Ultra-High Capacity: PowerCore+ 26800 is one of the world’s highest capacity portable charger with Quick Charge 3.0 technology. It charges the iPhone 6s 9 times, the Galaxy S6 over seven times or the 2015 MacBook more than three times.
- What You Get: Anker PowerCore+ 26800, PowerPort+ 1 with Quick Charge 3.0, Micro USB cable, travel pouch, welcome guide and 18-month worry-free warranty.
Solar Charger, Hiluckey 10000mAh Solar Power Bank
This is the solar powered charger I have and use. I like that it can be either solar or power charged. Being rugged and so dust resistant, water resistant and shock proof means I’m not worried about it getting damaged as we cross the world. The solar charge part is great in that it will top up any charge. Just leaving it on a table in sunlight means it is topping up. With the added bonus of a built-in torch for night time in new hotels, it is great on many levels. The price is also great. This is the one we use for trekking in Nepal when power is hard to come by.
- 1, Built-in 10000mAh lithium battery equipped with a compact solar panel, could recharge the battery itself under sunlight for emergency purpose while outdoor.Also can charge with USB Port(input 5V1A)
- 2, DUAL USB CHARGER PORTS: Output:USB1.0A&USB 2.1A, it’s also rugged, rain resistant, dust-proof, shockproof & compact.
- 3,LED FLASHLIGHT +HOOK +COMPASS: Integrated LED indicators to show power status that works perfectly in darkness,Five pilot indicators show the status of battery charger timely
- 4,PORTABILITY & LIGHTWEIGHT: Easy to hold in hand and put anywhere your want. The best environmentally friendly silicone protects it from rain, dirt, and shock/drops. Equipped with over-charge protection system.
- 5,External battery charger with solar panel can recharge by solar or outlet.Compatible with Smart phones and other 5V USB devices, Can charge iPhone more than 3 times. Perfect for hiking, climbing and other outdoor activity.