Freshly back from a Scotland road trip, what were our highlights and what did we do up there? Which Scottish places and attractions do we recommend and which weren't best? Everything we saw and did on our early summer trip to Scotland with kids ( a teen and a tween) is going on this Scotland travel blog page, along with 20 years of experience in travel to Scotland. We can then … [Read more...]
Europe Travel Blog
Collected blog posts on travel in Europe, from living in London and Romania and driving between the two, the full length of Europe, often, to the tourist hot spots of Europe.
We can't write a single blog post and call it " Europe Travel Blog" so you'll find dozens of individual blog posts below, detailing individual destinations and experiences in Europe.
Europe Travel Tips
- Christmas holidays and long summer school holidays along with the Easter break can bring huge crowds to popular parts of Europe. Avoiding peak times will keep your prices down.
- Countries that don't have the Euro are often cheaper
- Be aware of Shengen area visa restrictions.
- If you're driving - don't forget to buy a vignette and be aware of driving laws and restrictions.
- You're unlikely to have difficulties if you only speak English, in most European countries locals are insanely good at English. But if you're wandering off the beaten track, grab a phrase book and learn what you can. It's polite to try.
- Avoid places that purely exist for tourists. Put money in local pockets, meet more local people and learn more about the country you're visiting by finding the shops, restaurants and places the locals love.
- You can zip around Europe cheaply by budget airline - they're all pretty similar - or use trains, buses, hire a car, ride abike - Europe is pretty easy to get around.
- The weather in Europe swings from hot summers to freezing winters, be preparend for anything and be sure to check weather outlooks. Don't rule out visiting in the dark and cold of winter, it's my favourite time to be in Europe.
We just got back from a 10 day UK road trip, mostly in Scotland, but we flew into the UK in London and so started from and returned to Luton airport. We hired a car at around 11 UK Pounds per day ( we have separate annual excess insurance) and had a really lovely time exploring the Scottish Highlands ( with kids). I'll be writing a full post on our Scottish road trip soon. It … [Read more...]
Chef, after 2 cans of good Romanian beer, decided last weekend to enter the Brasov Marathon ( Braşov ). Normal people give themselves a year or so to train for these things, he gave himself a week. So not only did we have to organise a long weekend in Brasov Romania, he also had to be marathon ready by Sunday morning. OK, so that part was easy, he's super fit. But … [Read more...]
Before approaching the sheep station we had to take precautions, the Romanian sheepdogs (AKA Romanian Shepherds) would be loose so we had to call the shepherd ( human) to meet us and make sure the dogs didn't see us as a threat to their family or flock. Experiences of visiting a typical Maramures sheep station with Penny of The Village Hotel Breb. Life in Romania.He … [Read more...]
Every May, the Tânjaua the spring ploughing festival, is held in the village of Hoteni, Romania. In 2018 was held on 17 th May 2018. ( see video below) I'll find out the date for 2019 as soon as I can. The villagers, all in traditional summer costume, process and leap through the village to glorify the first ploughing of the fields. It's something not to miss in Maramures … [Read more...]
Can you tell us a few things to do in Belgrade? No? We couldn't either until a week ago. We had a vague idea about Tesla and knew Belgrade, the capital of Serbia was to be found in the Balkans ( turns out we were half wrong) but other than that, nope, we knew nothing about Belgrade.That's no good at all. So we grabbed a guide to take us on a tour of Belgrade, in this … [Read more...]
We've had a fantastic time skiing here in Romania, the kids took a few private 1 on 1 lessons while Chef and I were free to head up the mountain. Being child-free is a pretty new experience for us, as full time child-wranglers and educators, it kinda rocked! After a short time the kids were able to join us on the big slopes and it was so much fun. Skkiing in Romania is cheap … [Read more...]
We've been waiting for this. When we first had the idea of basing ourselves in Romania, locals told us winter temperatures can easily drop to -25C. We checked online, we couldn't find any records of temperatures that low, so we kind of didn't believe it but wanted to find out what winter weather in Maramures was like. January in Romania generally means a blanket of snow. … [Read more...]
Ask anyone who has traveled through Eastern Europe to name their favorite city and they will almost definitely say Budapest. Home of beautiful buildings, steaming spa baths and delightfully cheap beer, there’s really nothing not to love.Budapest is the ideal destination for people who want a weekend getaway. Two days in Budapest is all you need to experience a lot of what the … [Read more...]
We mention " our village in Romania" all over this website, well our village has a name, it is Breb. It is in the very far north, in the County of Maramures, directly above Transylvania and below Ukraine. We've been coming and going from Breb for over 2 years now and to us it is home. I've set this page up to help a friend. The very lovely Penny runs The Village Hotel. It's the … [Read more...]