When choosing a bag ( a handbag, purse, daypack or backpack) for travel most people will give some thought to security. It makes sense to buy a bag that makes a bag snatcher’s or pickpocket’s life as hard as possible. We’ve taken a look at the best anti theft travel bags for travellers, the ones designed to keep your passport, cash and other small valuables attached to you. In my personal experience as a global traveller of many years, a small cross-body handbag or purse is extremely useful, you don’t always want to carry your day-pack, backpack or suitcase. I have a couple of cross-body fabric bags that I pack for this purpose, both have internal pockets and I can easily add extra security with a safety-pin or two, but if you want to buy a travel bag designed to keep the thieves at bay, somebody has thought of that! Here are the best and most popular anti-theft bags for travel and for travellers. As an extra security measure, some also have RFID blocking capacity. The new anti-theft backpacks with built in charging ports are another travel must-have, see them at the end of the post along with a few extra anti-theft devices you may like.
These bags are mostly aimed at women, but some would work just as well for men, I include the one that my husband uses on airport days, it’s first on the list. The Kipling bags, although not designed as anti theft travel bags, are rugged and sturdy, we think they’re a great, long-lasting, good-looking, option and of course can be worn crossbody. My husband has used his on travel days for almost 20 years.
- Best Anti Theft Travel Bags. Large and Small Bags, Backpacks and Purses.
- The Cross Body Purses and Bags
- What Features Should a Dedicated Anti Theft Bag Have ?
- Lewis N Clarke Secura Anti Theft Bag
- Travelon Anti-Theft Messenger Bag
- Travelon Classic Anti-Theft Mini Shoulder Bag
- Travelon Anti-Theft Signature 3 Compartment Cross-Body Bag
- Baggalline Everywhere Cross Body Bag
- Travelon Anti-Theft Cross Body Bucket Bag
- Bagallini Pocket Cross Body Bag
- Larger Anti Theft Travel Bags, Backpacks and Daypacks
- Extra Anti Theft Devices For Travel
- Picked for you!
Tips For Extra Travel Bag Safety
- Keep your bag across your body, not on 1 shoulder.
- Wear the bag on your front, not on your hip or behind.
- Keep a hand on it on busy trains, buses or in markets.
- Don’t keep everything in one bag, spread valuables around various hiding places.
- Avoid motorised bag snatchers by keeping the bag away from the road.
Best Anti Theft Travel Bags. Large and Small Bags, Backpacks and Purses.
The Cross Body Purses and Bags
We’ve shown most of the bags below in black but they do come in multiple colours from blue to red to gold, click-through on each item to check the range. The Baggalini bags, below, have a particularly good colour range including cool stripes but they don’t have the tough anti slash, anti cut technology of the Travelon bags.
What Features Should a Dedicated Anti Theft Bag Have ?
Look out for features such as:
- anti slash fabric
- locking pockets
- RFID blocking
- steel enforced shoulder straps
- locking hardware for securing to immovable objects
The Travelon bags generally have all of these anti theft features.
Lewis N Clarke Secura Anti Theft Bag
My favourite! Unfortunately not available yet in the UK although other Lewis N Clark products are available. USA and Canada can buy this cool green bag.
- water resistant outer
- durable exterior
- fabric lined
- anti slash fabric and internal steel shoulder strap reinforcement
- exterior locking pocket
- locking hardware to secure to tables etc.
- RFID blocking pocket for cards
- internal organiser pockets including zip pocket
- slimline profile
- 11 x 3 x 9.5 inches
- 49 inch strap
- main locking zip compartment
- also available in onyx
Travelon Anti-Theft Messenger Bag
- internal pockets
- external water holder
- RFID blocking card and passport sections
- cut proof, cable reinforced shoulder strap
- lobster claw clasps on pockets and straps
- slash resistant internal mesh on body panels
- main strap can be used to fasten to immovable objects using lobster claw
- strap length 28-48 inches
- size 11 x 10 x 4.5 inch
- a range of colours, I like the blue.
Travelon Classic Anti-Theft Mini Shoulder Bag
- available in black, blue, red and light grey
- slash proof
- locking compartment
- RFID blocking card and passport area
- cut proof shoulder strap
- strap can be fastened to immovable objects
- size 10 x 9.5 x 2 inches
Travelon Anti-Theft Signature 3 Compartment Cross-Body Bag
- comes in blue, red, dark grey, beige and black
- 3, larger, locking compartments
- main compartment has RFID blocking card and passport section
- slash resistant body
- cut resistant shoulder strap
- strap can be fastened around immovable objects with lobster claw fastening
- 29 inch drop
- larger size, 11.5 x 13.75 inch
Baggalline Everywhere Cross Body Bag
- A great range of colours
- RFID blocking
- multiple pockets
- spacious, longer drop for cross body use.
Travelon Anti-Theft Cross Body Bucket Bag
This one is a larger size, with all the usual Travelon anti theft features
- anti cut strap
- anti slash panels
- RFID blocking card/passport section
- lower price than many for the black version
- built in external water pocket
- built in external umbrella pocket
- locking main compartment
- strap can lock to an immovable object
- larger size 10 inch high by 14 inch deep
- available in leopard, grey, green, purple and black
Bagallini Pocket Cross Body Bag
- durable nylon
- multiple pockets
- great colour range
Larger Anti Theft Travel Bags, Backpacks and Daypacks
With most of these bags you will need portable chargers or power banks, we created a post on our favourite ( often solar) chargers here. The Bobby Bag is the most expensive of these 3 but it’s so feature packed it’s hard to ignore. This one is my pick for city use or even to use as a small carry on bag.
Anti Theft Laptop Bags or Day Packs
A backpack that will take your laptop safely and securely is an absolute God-send and these days I’d say that any daypack you choose, other than for trekking, must be laptop sized. This one has all the bells and whistles. The zips are lockable with a combination padlock and his has an external USB port for charging your mobile devices. This Mancro bag is a 2018 Amazon Best Seller and the price is good.
The Original Bobby Bag below would be my choice. It’s so packed with features that I can’t possibly describe them all here. Again you can charge, again it has protective layers, I love that you can keep public transport cards handy in front pockets ( the perfect bag for London use!). Just click through and see the features, it’s a brilliant design. Next time I’m in London I’m getting one of these, pink, blue and yellow compact versions are available too.
Extra Anti Theft Devices For Travel
Cable locks allow you to secure your bags to a bench, a train luggage rack, a table, your other bags, or anything that will make them harder to snatch. Useful at airports, train stations and anywhere you sit-a while, the brand below is one of the most well respected and TSA compliant. Cheap versions are easy to break.
This is clever! It’s from Pac Safe so it’s a brand you know you can trust. Every thief knows about neck and waist wallets, but I bet they don’t know about belt wallets! I love that it’s non metal so you won’t set the endless metal detectors beeping. I’d buy this just as a belt for every-day use.
I want to reassure you that theft isn’t a major issue from the moment you leave your front door. In 20+ years of travel, to 50+ countries I’ve had one pickpocketing incident. I stupidly left my bag unzipped on a crowded bus in Malaysia. We have had one bag stolen completely, we took our eyes off it in an airport in Australia. One one occasion we had a bag slashed by a potential thief, luckily it had a metal mesh inner to make it knife proof. We travel full-time and have lived in London ( which some travellers consider high risk for theft and sadly our theft problem is rising, scooter thieves are targetting pedestrians) for many years. These anti theft travel bags exist, mostly, to give you extra peace of mind. It’s your choice, do you need one? While a handy-sized cross body bag is always a good idea, particularly for airport days when your documents ( see organisers here) need to be accessible and extra pack security is reassuring, we don’t want you to think your belongings and documents are always in imminent danger. Make sure you take out good travel inurance too, this is the one we use.