This post may contain affiliate links.
If you’re planning a business trip, short stay, or full vacation in Kuala Lumpur Malaysia, where should you stay? We give you the best tips on where to stay in Kuala Lumpur, for your needs. These locations in KL, with accommodation at multiple price points, should give you the best Kuala Lumpur experience possible!
Where to Stay in KL
Please check room configurations, locations, prices and facilities for yourself as these things can change over time.
Stay in Central Kuala Lumpur
Central Kuala Lumpur is very modern, clean, and has a wow factor. If you want to be near the Petronas Towers, or even have a view of them from your hotel’s rooftop pool, you need to be here. The shopping nearby is superb and you’ll be footsteps from the nightly fountain show, good dining, and nightlife. Try the following hotel options.
- Expressionz Suites By iHost Global has modern and affordable family suites with kitchenette and pool. Check it out on Agoda here, or see prices on Booking.com here. It is 3 Km from the Petronas Towers and has that rooftop pool with view.
- Star Residence Suites are a little more expensive, but right in the heart of KL with incredible views of The Petronas Towers 1km away and great facilities including family suites, rooftop pool, and 2 bedroom family apartments. This one would be my choice. Take a look here.
- Luxury Service Suites at Times Square KL is a very affordable option, in a good location for Bukit Bintang, from here it’s very easy to get to KLCC and the Petronas Towers area. This one is on Booking .com here for you to inspect. or compare here, on agoda.
- The Mandarin Oriental is in Kuala Lumpur City Centre, between the Petronas Towers and the gardens at their base. This is a beautiful hotel in the best KL location you can imagine. One of the best hotel chains in the world, check out this beautiful hotel here.
- Double Tree by Hilton Kuala Lumpur The Doubletree chain are much loved by business travellers and this one, just a few minutes walk from the towers, is likely to please. It’s actually very affordable too!
Stay in Chinatown Kuala Lumpur
Chinatown is a good choice when considering where to stay in Kuala Lumpur. There are plenty of accommodation options in this area. You will be within walking distance of many attractions, including Chinatown’s Petaling Street, Chinese and Hindu Temples, Masjid Jamek, the Colonial District, bus and train connections and the Central Market. This is a good place to stay for the Thaipusam Festival as the procession to Batu Caves begins in Chinatown, at the beautiful Sri Mahamariamman Temple.
There are good food options nearby, Indian, Chinese and Western and an easy (free) bus connection into the centre of K. L. It will likely be cheaper to stay in Chinatown than near central Kuala Lumpur. Accommodation options in Chinatown include the following.
- This space-themed capsule hotel is a good budget option, Space Hotel Chinatown. The space age capsules are a lot of fun and cheap for a short stay. We have stayed here and enjoyed our 4 capsule family dorm with shared bathroom facilities. The kids thought the slide between floors was a winner. Book it here on Booking.com
- There is a Sheraton in the heart of Chinatown. For a better quality international hotel, well located, with family rooms, but still very affordable, Book the Four Points Sheraton Kuala Lumpur Chinatown here on Booking.com
- For a hotel with lovely old-world charm take a look at the Tian Jing Hotel, it’s in a beautifully restored Chinese shop house very close to Petaling Street, the Indian and Chinese Temples, Masjid Jamek and the Central Market. See it on Booking.com. Not so great for families, they don’t have rooms for four or more that I can see.
- We often use a nice hostel called Back Home Kuala Lumpur, in this part of town. It’s an easy walk from the Masjid Jamek mosque and train station. This is a slightly more expensive, modern, hostel with family rooms for 3 and private dorms for 4 or more. It also has couple dorms and private rooms. There’s great Indian food on the next street and the bus into central KL stops nearby. This one is on the outskirts of Chinatown, but not far to walk to Petaling Street or the Central Market.
Where To Stay in Kuala Lumpur for Sunway Lagoon
Sunway Resort Hotel and Spa is the perfect place to stay for Sunway Lagoon. It’s on-site, giving you maximum time at KL’s premier water and amusement park. Your family should be thrilled to stay here.
More information about Kuala Lumpur Malaysia